january update: of basketball, school spirit, and 3rd grade elections

January came and went in a flash, literally.  

I'm trying to think of everything we've done this month... let's see...

The boy's started basketball - well, practice began in December, but games began in January.  Now we are already 5 games down.  We have gone to Disneyland.  Shocking, I know.  We had school spirit week and a jog-a-thon.  Greatest week, yet also the longest week ever.  I have been sick, JJ has had pink eye, and just colds all around.  Silas is running for 3rd grade class president.  

This was simply a fun little election coinciding with what they are learning in class about government, that turned into quite the event.  I picked the boys up from school one day - this was the week I was crazy sick - and Silas came in the car with all of this campaign stuff from fellow classmates.  He then informed me he was also running for president.  "What?  When?  What's this about?  What are we supposed to do?" were just a few of the questions spiraling in my brain.  I guess he hadn't told me because I was in bed for days, but I was taken aback since I normally know everything.  I immediately felt like we were behind the game.  Did we need posters?  A speech?  Flyers?  Treats to pass out, since he had already received some?  We immediately came up with a slogan, I worked on a flyer and some things to distribute, and we decided to do a video - I mean, if that's not Silas, I don't know what is?!  He is our technology kid, full of creativity, that loves to play around with cameras, computers, you name it!  I love anything having to do with video or photography.  So, this was right up our alley, obviously a fitting method for delivering his "speech".   If for some reason you haven't seen it on Facebook yet, check it out here. 

The big vote was Friday.  Since all but 6 of his classmates (out of 28) were running, there would be a vote and the top three would move past the primaries to the final election.  They were not allowed to vote for themselves - which was smart!  Otherwise, they probably each would have had one vote.  Ha!  Silas was in the top three.  We are traveling to Chicago this Wednesday, so the video method ending up working in our favor!  We created a new video to be shown to his class on election day, and well... you'll just have to check it out here.  It couldn't have worked out more perfectly!  No matter what, he gave his best - so that makes us happy!  It sure is fun seeing him so in his element though.  He makes my heart smile.


Working on his second campaign video.


On another note, I keep seeing a little question/answer thing floating around Facebook, so I thought it would be fun to give it a go and see what the boy's responses would be about me.  If I'm honest, it's kinda scary to think about their perspective of me, but I was glad I took a few minutes to ask.  

What is something I always say to you?
JJ: “You’re my best friend.”
Eli: “I love you!”
Silas: “I love you and keep trying!”

What makes me happy?
JJ: “When I eat.  Umm, have fun with you.”
{The struggle is real, y'all.  JJ + eating = drama}
Eli: “Us.  Huggies and kisses!”
Silas: “Us saying I love you and being nice to you.”

What makes me sad?
JJ: “When Si Si and Eli won’t help you.”
Eli: “Us not obeying.”
Silas: “When I’m being mean to JJ”

How old am I?
JJ: “Ummmm, you are forty eight tall.”
Eli: “Somewhere near thirty five, I think?”
Silas: “Thirty three.”

What was I like as a child?
JJ: “You were cute.”
Eli: “You loved math, like me.”  
Silas: “Nice.”

What is my favorite thing to do?
JJ: “Be best friends with JJ”
Eli: “Get huggies!”
Silas: “Take pictures.”

What am I good at?
JJ: “Umm, good at giving me kiss and just having fun with me!”
Eli: “photography, math, and cooking.”
Silas: “Cooking.  You’re good at taking pictures and editing.”

What do I do for a job?
JJ: “Work in your office at school.”
Eli: “You take school pictures and you write about how the school is.”
Silas: “You like help the school, you do teach PE a little bit, and you print a lot of the school papers.”

What's my favorite food?
JJ: “Ummm, broccoli and soup.”
Eli: “Well, I know my favorite food is corn.  Well, maybe, I don’t hear you talk about food that much.  Maybe smoothies with cereal and whipped cream.”
Silas: “I know you love pizza.  Actually, I heard you say you love spaghetti too.”

What do you enjoy doing with me?
JJ: “Just play with you.  ummm, just have fun.  ummm, just ummm, watch a movie together and just work on our works and go to Disneyland.”
Eli: “There are a lot of things.  Playing a game with you or hugging you… there are a lot of huggies in this!”
Silas: “I like riding rides with you, watching movies with you, you know.. stuff like that.”






 











0 Comments