"I'm the happiest I've ever been..."
Oh, where to even begin.
Eli Jackson.
If you don't know Eli, it would serve you well to enter his circle of trust. As a baby, he was incredibly outgoing and friendly and announced himself upon entering the room. We'd know it was morning when we heard in a sing song voice, "Iiiiiiiiiiiit's Eliiiiiiiiiiii!! It's good morning tiiiiiiiime!" As a kid he's become a little more conservative and skeptical in approaching people until he gains their trust. He is super inquisitive. He loves details. He has to figure things out.. and not just things, but people. Once you spend a bit of time, dig a little deeper and gain Eli's trust... it's like an erupting volcano - his personality and unending affection simply pours out. He is the sweetest, most endearing, most loving little guy you ever did meet. He has the purest of hearts. I'm not sure he has a mean bone in his body. He truly is one of the kindest, most selfless souls that I have yet to encounter. Seriously. It's like you feel all warm and fuzzy when he comes into the room. There is so much wrapped into that four foot something, fifty pound, blue eyed little boy than you could ever even fathom.
Dusty and I really don't get it. You can't not love him. I wish everyone could really know him in this way. I know he is our kid, but he's just so sincerely special....so, just Eli. We always say, "there's not another Eli Jackson".
All of this to say, Eli has questioned whether or not he "believes" for a very long time now. It was a decision that for Him, he need to be all in... 100% sure. It was nothing I ever wanted to push, but to patiently wait him through every question, every thought, every doubt. With no rhyme or reason and often out of the blue, he sporadically asks questions that are on his mind regarding God, heaven, and faith.
I answer every question he has and as he processes, you can literally see his mind spinning. He will end it with "okay" or "thank you" in that high pitched little voice and go on his way.
A few weeks ago, he began asking me more questions. We talked for about an hour and a half one evening and as soon as he was satisfied with the conversation, he told me, "okay, I'm going upstairs now."
The next day, he found me in the kitchen after dinner, gave me the biggest hug and said, "thank you."
I asked him "for what?", to which he said, "you know, for our talk. I decided I'm ready. I believe now."
"What do you mean you believe?"
"I mean I have Christ in my life."
To this I began asking him questions to figure out exactly what he meant. He told me, "Weeeeelllllll, this morning I was in the shower. I knew I believed so I prayed and asked Christ into my life. And, I asked Him for those fruits of the Spirit. I'm the happiest I've ever been. I am just so happy."
{His teacher later confirmed to be that he was extraordinarily happy all day and she couldn't figure it out... which made me smile}
I just love him. I love his heart, his child-like faith, and his decision. I love that God created such a special heart in our Eli Jackson and pray God uses his life to spread His joy and love to others.
Eli Jackson.
If you don't know Eli, it would serve you well to enter his circle of trust. As a baby, he was incredibly outgoing and friendly and announced himself upon entering the room. We'd know it was morning when we heard in a sing song voice, "Iiiiiiiiiiiit's Eliiiiiiiiiiii!! It's good morning tiiiiiiiime!" As a kid he's become a little more conservative and skeptical in approaching people until he gains their trust. He is super inquisitive. He loves details. He has to figure things out.. and not just things, but people. Once you spend a bit of time, dig a little deeper and gain Eli's trust... it's like an erupting volcano - his personality and unending affection simply pours out. He is the sweetest, most endearing, most loving little guy you ever did meet. He has the purest of hearts. I'm not sure he has a mean bone in his body. He truly is one of the kindest, most selfless souls that I have yet to encounter. Seriously. It's like you feel all warm and fuzzy when he comes into the room. There is so much wrapped into that four foot something, fifty pound, blue eyed little boy than you could ever even fathom.
Dusty and I really don't get it. You can't not love him. I wish everyone could really know him in this way. I know he is our kid, but he's just so sincerely special....so, just Eli. We always say, "there's not another Eli Jackson".
All of this to say, Eli has questioned whether or not he "believes" for a very long time now. It was a decision that for Him, he need to be all in... 100% sure. It was nothing I ever wanted to push, but to patiently wait him through every question, every thought, every doubt. With no rhyme or reason and often out of the blue, he sporadically asks questions that are on his mind regarding God, heaven, and faith.
I answer every question he has and as he processes, you can literally see his mind spinning. He will end it with "okay" or "thank you" in that high pitched little voice and go on his way.
A few weeks ago, he began asking me more questions. We talked for about an hour and a half one evening and as soon as he was satisfied with the conversation, he told me, "okay, I'm going upstairs now."
The next day, he found me in the kitchen after dinner, gave me the biggest hug and said, "thank you."
I asked him "for what?", to which he said, "you know, for our talk. I decided I'm ready. I believe now."
"What do you mean you believe?"
"I mean I have Christ in my life."
To this I began asking him questions to figure out exactly what he meant. He told me, "Weeeeelllllll, this morning I was in the shower. I knew I believed so I prayed and asked Christ into my life. And, I asked Him for those fruits of the Spirit. I'm the happiest I've ever been. I am just so happy."
{His teacher later confirmed to be that he was extraordinarily happy all day and she couldn't figure it out... which made me smile}
I just love him. I love his heart, his child-like faith, and his decision. I love that God created such a special heart in our Eli Jackson and pray God uses his life to spread His joy and love to others.

0 Comments