As a child, I was crazy shy. I am an introvert and it's such an interesting thing to me how my personality comes out in light of that. By this I mean I don't always feel like the me I feel on the inside is the me that everyone else sees. Maybe that sounds dumb, but it makes sense to me anyway.
That being said, I remember being in second grade and not dressing up for Halloween at school. I wanted to, but I was too embarrassed to. In fact, I wasn't walking out the front door with that costume on. I don't remember the details of that morning of whether or not my mom tried to convince me to put it on, if I cried, or what... I just know it ended up in my backpack and I said I'd put it on at school.
Of course, I never did.
This, of course, is the same reason I can be at a concert having a great time - but no one else would necessarily know it by observing me. Or, why I can be at a wedding watching everyone else dance, and want to, but not be able to convince myself to do it. Why I hold myself back from anything, really.
Perhaps those are reasons why Halloween with my kids has been such a big deal to me. For Silas' first Halloween, I found myself searching and searching for the "perfect" costume. The next year, it was the same thing and I found myself wondering why I cared so much. It's funny because it's not like I'm this huge fan of Halloween or that it's my favorite holiday. Far from it. It took me awhile to really think it through - and I wouldn't say it's me wanting to live through them, so much as not wanting them to struggle with the same issues I did. I want them to be confident in themselves and not be held back because of their own insecurities or fears. We are who we are, but I do believe we have the ability to learn and grow, and thankfully I have along the way. Ha, and I've even dressed up the past few years at school. Who'd have thought ;)
This year I had the three cutest little dressed up boys on the planet - each with a costume that totally fit their personality. I'm not sure any one could have been more fitting. Silas was Steve from one of his favorite games, Minecraft. Eli was a ninja and if you've ever been around Eli in his element -- I mean, he's always wanted to be a ninja. He's constantly practicing his moves and I truly think he believe that he is a ninja. JJ was Jake the pirate from his absolute favorite tv show. He's had a pirate sword for months now that he takes with him almost everywhere he goes. Let's just say we have 2 of the exact same sword, because heaven forbid it ever gets lost. Also, I am convinced that JJ and Jake are twins.

We had a blast celebrating at our school's Fall Festival yesterday and it was probably my favorite one yet. I don't know why, I just really enjoyed it. The weather was perfect {it's normally blasting HOT!}, we took our time going from booth to booth and I felt like I could just be with them. I wasn't worried about anything that had to be done work-wise - I just got to enjoy them.
 |
| These two had a moment yesterday on the playground that absolutely melted my heart. Silas was spinning JJ on whatever this thing is and JJ was holding on for deal life, laughing. It. was. priceless. |
 |
Eli's teacher. I adore her. She is amazing with my little man and he absolutely adores her too. She is a riot, btw. |
 |
| The cutest 1st grade class ever. |
 |
| And the cutest 2nd grade class ever. You have to love the three Steve's. So, so funny. |
 |
| Silas got summoned to jail. It was his "high" of the whole festival. |
 |
| Here, Eli was using his Pumpkin Dollars to purchase a warrant to put a friend in jail. |
 |
| Melt my heart in a zillion pieces. |
 |
| I love this ninja. |
In the evening, we met at Dusty's cousin's house for dinner and then trick or treating. It also, was one of my favorite years - probably because all three boys were so into it. JJ had a blast running from house to house with no reserve. "TRICK or TREAT!!!", he proclaimed proudly at every house, following by "tank you!!". The boys were so sweet, telling everyone "Happy Halloween" and just having the best of manners, and even starting up conversations with people. I was so proud of them. The highlight of the night was probably the werewolf. In the neighborhood we trick or treat at, many families will camp out in their driveway with a fire pit and just wait for the kids to come around. It's super family friendly. Some people, of course, dress up. There was one house with a werewolf sitting in his lawn chair. It took me by surprise because JJ said, "look!! a werewolf!!"
He knows what a werewolf is how??!
Werewolf didn't phase him one bit. He walked up to him and said, "Raaaaaawwwrrr!!!" and all he could talk about the rest of the night is how he scared the werewolf. Of course, the werewolf played along and JJ scared him a number of time before we could drag him away to a new house. But we were all laughing hysterically at the scene. I only wish I had recorded it.
 |
| Yeah, not one bit afraid of this. |
All in all, it was such a fun day. I sure hope my boys look back on these memories one day, but regardless - I know I sure will.
 |
| It's super hard to look at Silas' costume and not laugh. I love JJ with his sword in the air and Eli with his ninja sword. |
 |
Be still my heart. If only time could stand still. |
 |
The three cutest trick or treaters I saw last night! Yes, I am super partial. I am their mom, and it's my right ;) |
We had a late night and our usual Saturday - except today was haircut day. It's my least favorite day of the month because it takes quite a bit of time and the boys hate it, so it's just not enjoyable... but I sure do love a fresh haircut! Every three weeks...
 |
| Such a ham. But, a handsome one :) |
0 Comments