I don't want to miss it.
Last Sunday, we we playing a fun little game of "would you rather" during lunch. All sorts of silly little things were asked, such as, "would you rather live at Disneyland or live in a Minecraft world?", "if you could only have one gadget for the rest of your life, would you choose your iPad or xbox?" We came up with some great ones, but of course I can't remember them all since I'm blogging about it.
Dusty asked me, "if you could only choose between your camera and your phone for the rest of your life, which would you choose?" Surprisingly, even though I'm a photo-obsessed, document every second of life kind of girl, my first instinct was my phone. And you know I justified that because it has a camera. Soooo, basically I'd rather have horrible photos for the rest of my life and the ability to check my e-mail, surf the web, check Facebook, text, make phone calls, etc. at any given moment. That was my priority. I felt guilty for even thinking that, so I said, "my camera."
Hmm. It does makes you think. No?
Well, yesterday I forgot my phone at the house. I was forced to spend 8 hours without it. Guess what? It was nice. I mean, it's really funny if you think about it... I didn't have a cell phone until well after I was married. In fact, Dusty and I shared a phone until we moved to San Diego, in 2005. And even then, it was just a device to make phone calls. It's only been since the iPhone that we've been spoiled rotten and had constant entertainment at our fingertips. I've even thought before that it would be a nightmare to have to live without my phone. In so many ways it's nice having access to information at any moment, being able to use Maps if I'm lost or need to get somewhere, e-mailing without being in front of a computer, making phone calls from anywhere, entertaining my children in certain circumstances where I need to buy some time, playing music in my car, watching a movie or tv show if I'm bored, etc. etc. etc. It's nice, right? Yet in so many ways, I hate it. I hate that everywhere you look - in restaurants, walking down the street, in the mall, even at a sports arena - what do you see? The tops of people's heads. What ever happened to conversation? You barely even need it anymore. Besides, you probably know everything about everyone from Facebook. Such an impersonal world we've created.
But, {stepping off that unexpected soap box}, what I really wanted to say was it took so much pressure off of me. I was so much more intentional about everything I did and I didn't miss the burden of having a 24 hour access port attached to me. I didn't need to stress about what time dinner needed to be ready or when Dusty was coming home, I just fixed it and it worked out. I wasn't refreshing Facebook or my Mail app all day only to be comparing myself to everyone else, being reminded of 10 other things on my plate, or being bombarded with countless ads encouraging me to buy more Christmas gifts - and I didn't care. It was okay for me to text and make phone calls in the evening when I was finished with everything. And guess what? I didn't die over missing the few photos that I wanted to snap. Instead of Instagramming a moment, it was okay to just live in it. I'm sure they would've made great posts, but whatever. I can live without those 20 likes and with one less photo in my camera roll.
Don't get me wrong, you guys. In fact, I can hear it now, "so, you're going phone-less?" No. I'm not saying that. I'm just saying we could all probably gain some things from putting it down occasionally. I was definitely convicted in some areas, as there are some ways in which I know I can be better. And, that does involve less of my iPhone. Perhaps my mindset is also in a different place due to the season. I've been listening to Christmas music in my car and at work and in the midst of the chaos that is the holidays, I'm also seeing the simplicity in it - a baby in a manger. Forget the parties, the gifts, the Elf on the Shelf, decorating the house to Pinterest standards, making Pinterest crafts with the kids, or that "perfect" family photo that I wanted to get for the Christmas card I haven't sent in three years. Remember the reason why we celebrate.
"Silent night. Holy night. All is calm, all is bright..."
"Oh little town of Bethlehem, Looks like another silent night, Above your deep and dreamless sleep, A giant star lights up the sky, And while you're lying in the dark, There shines an everlasting light, For the King has left His throne, And is sleeping in a manger tonight."
"What Child is this who, laid to rest, On Mary's lap is sleeping? Whom angels greet with anthems sweet, While shepherds watch are keeping? This, this is Christ the King, Whom shepherds guard and angels sing; Haste, haste, to bring Him laud, The Babe, the Son of Mary."
"O little town of Bethlehem,
how still we see thee lie;
above thy deep and dreamless sleep
the silent stars go by.
Yet in thy dark streets shineth
the everlasting light;
the hopes and fears of all the years
are met in thee tonight."
That's what it's all about. If I take the time to slow down, stop being overwhelmed with the stresses of life, enjoy the blessings that God has put right in front of me, and focus my heart on the JOY that He has to give, I won't miss it. Because I sure don't want to.
Dusty asked me, "if you could only choose between your camera and your phone for the rest of your life, which would you choose?" Surprisingly, even though I'm a photo-obsessed, document every second of life kind of girl, my first instinct was my phone. And you know I justified that because it has a camera. Soooo, basically I'd rather have horrible photos for the rest of my life and the ability to check my e-mail, surf the web, check Facebook, text, make phone calls, etc. at any given moment. That was my priority. I felt guilty for even thinking that, so I said, "my camera."
Hmm. It does makes you think. No?
Well, yesterday I forgot my phone at the house. I was forced to spend 8 hours without it. Guess what? It was nice. I mean, it's really funny if you think about it... I didn't have a cell phone until well after I was married. In fact, Dusty and I shared a phone until we moved to San Diego, in 2005. And even then, it was just a device to make phone calls. It's only been since the iPhone that we've been spoiled rotten and had constant entertainment at our fingertips. I've even thought before that it would be a nightmare to have to live without my phone. In so many ways it's nice having access to information at any moment, being able to use Maps if I'm lost or need to get somewhere, e-mailing without being in front of a computer, making phone calls from anywhere, entertaining my children in certain circumstances where I need to buy some time, playing music in my car, watching a movie or tv show if I'm bored, etc. etc. etc. It's nice, right? Yet in so many ways, I hate it. I hate that everywhere you look - in restaurants, walking down the street, in the mall, even at a sports arena - what do you see? The tops of people's heads. What ever happened to conversation? You barely even need it anymore. Besides, you probably know everything about everyone from Facebook. Such an impersonal world we've created.
But, {stepping off that unexpected soap box}, what I really wanted to say was it took so much pressure off of me. I was so much more intentional about everything I did and I didn't miss the burden of having a 24 hour access port attached to me. I didn't need to stress about what time dinner needed to be ready or when Dusty was coming home, I just fixed it and it worked out. I wasn't refreshing Facebook or my Mail app all day only to be comparing myself to everyone else, being reminded of 10 other things on my plate, or being bombarded with countless ads encouraging me to buy more Christmas gifts - and I didn't care. It was okay for me to text and make phone calls in the evening when I was finished with everything. And guess what? I didn't die over missing the few photos that I wanted to snap. Instead of Instagramming a moment, it was okay to just live in it. I'm sure they would've made great posts, but whatever. I can live without those 20 likes and with one less photo in my camera roll.
Don't get me wrong, you guys. In fact, I can hear it now, "so, you're going phone-less?" No. I'm not saying that. I'm just saying we could all probably gain some things from putting it down occasionally. I was definitely convicted in some areas, as there are some ways in which I know I can be better. And, that does involve less of my iPhone. Perhaps my mindset is also in a different place due to the season. I've been listening to Christmas music in my car and at work and in the midst of the chaos that is the holidays, I'm also seeing the simplicity in it - a baby in a manger. Forget the parties, the gifts, the Elf on the Shelf, decorating the house to Pinterest standards, making Pinterest crafts with the kids, or that "perfect" family photo that I wanted to get for the Christmas card I haven't sent in three years. Remember the reason why we celebrate.
"Silent night. Holy night. All is calm, all is bright..."
"Oh little town of Bethlehem, Looks like another silent night, Above your deep and dreamless sleep, A giant star lights up the sky, And while you're lying in the dark, There shines an everlasting light, For the King has left His throne, And is sleeping in a manger tonight."
"What Child is this who, laid to rest, On Mary's lap is sleeping? Whom angels greet with anthems sweet, While shepherds watch are keeping? This, this is Christ the King, Whom shepherds guard and angels sing; Haste, haste, to bring Him laud, The Babe, the Son of Mary."
"O little town of Bethlehem,
how still we see thee lie;
above thy deep and dreamless sleep
the silent stars go by.
Yet in thy dark streets shineth
the everlasting light;
the hopes and fears of all the years
are met in thee tonight."
That's what it's all about. If I take the time to slow down, stop being overwhelmed with the stresses of life, enjoy the blessings that God has put right in front of me, and focus my heart on the JOY that He has to give, I won't miss it. Because I sure don't want to.

0 Comments