go green -- smoothies!
So, I love adore smoothies. Back in the day {before I had three kids to feed}, I'd get a Jamba Juice everyday. Yes, really... everyday. Pathetic, right?!
Actually, I still allotted for my obsession when Si was a baby and he came to love them too. I'd always get extra in a kid's cup and my 10 month old Silas devoured them too.
Fast forward several years, and well, I simply cannot justify it. So what do I do? I make my own.
I have really been getting creative the past few years, since I discovered "green smoothies". What's a green smoothie? Well, basically you mix lots of leafy greens and vegetables in your smoothie. It's so much better than it sounds. I finally have it, you guys -- my perfect recipe.
Why is it perfect? Well, there's so much good stuff in there and my kids love it.
Eli calls it the "super power shake" and Silas named his "super veggie". I call it "success"!
The first time Eli tried it, he proclaimed, "WOAH. MOM. We should totally sell this on the DOT COM."
I literally died. I mean, I still laugh thinking about it.
I know you are on the edge of your seat waiting for my recipe. So, I won't keep you in suspense any further.
Here's my "super power shake"
For my base, I use a vanilla slimfast.
Not only is it delicious, but has tons of extra vitamins, protein, etc. -- all things I want to get in the kids!
Ice, to your liking
large handful of spinach
large handful of kale
handful of baby carrots
half of a chopped zucchini
1 banana
frozen bluberries
frozen broccoli
small handful of almonds
1 teaspoon flax seed
honey - to sweeten to your liking, but not much is needed!
if I need more liquid I add a bit of soy milk or coconut milk.
Try it. Seriously. It's delish. This makes more than enough for all three of us. I just have a normal, no name blender and it works great. I wouldn't call this "juicing" because I do not have a juicer and it's certainly not juice! It's a smoothie. {Just clarifying because people keep asking}
Let me know if you try it and what you think!
Actually, I still allotted for my obsession when Si was a baby and he came to love them too. I'd always get extra in a kid's cup and my 10 month old Silas devoured them too.
Fast forward several years, and well, I simply cannot justify it. So what do I do? I make my own.
I have really been getting creative the past few years, since I discovered "green smoothies". What's a green smoothie? Well, basically you mix lots of leafy greens and vegetables in your smoothie. It's so much better than it sounds. I finally have it, you guys -- my perfect recipe.
Why is it perfect? Well, there's so much good stuff in there and my kids love it.
Eli calls it the "super power shake" and Silas named his "super veggie". I call it "success"!
The first time Eli tried it, he proclaimed, "WOAH. MOM. We should totally sell this on the DOT COM."
I literally died. I mean, I still laugh thinking about it.
I know you are on the edge of your seat waiting for my recipe. So, I won't keep you in suspense any further.
Here's my "super power shake"
For my base, I use a vanilla slimfast.
Not only is it delicious, but has tons of extra vitamins, protein, etc. -- all things I want to get in the kids!
Ice, to your liking
large handful of spinach
large handful of kale
handful of baby carrots
half of a chopped zucchini
1 banana
frozen bluberries
frozen broccoli
small handful of almonds
1 teaspoon flax seed
honey - to sweeten to your liking, but not much is needed!
if I need more liquid I add a bit of soy milk or coconut milk.
Try it. Seriously. It's delish. This makes more than enough for all three of us. I just have a normal, no name blender and it works great. I wouldn't call this "juicing" because I do not have a juicer and it's certainly not juice! It's a smoothie. {Just clarifying because people keep asking}
Let me know if you try it and what you think!
| okay, I don't know how much he actually drank. I just let him play with a bottle {yes, I still try everyday and he HATES bottles. Now he just loves to hold it.} |
| Nothing to do with green smoothies. Just brotherly love ;) |
0 Comments