My New "Babysitter"
This is the last week of school, which is completely chaotic seeing as how there are a million things to be done - mostly because my summer is jam packed. We have minimum days all week, so I told Mel I would take my niece, Zoe, with me when I left at 1:00 p.m. so she didn't have to go to daycare. Besides the fact that Zoe has been wanting to "babysit" the boys for me, so who wouldn't mind a little help? Taking her was no big thing, especially since I figured I could take her and the boys swimming. Let me just say - I had no idea what I was getting myself into - and I mean this in the most fabulous way possible.
I picked up Silas - oh wait, Zoe got Silas for me while I finished up in my office - and then we loaded into my car. We stopped by Burger King to get icee's for the kids and headed to the lake. I had forewarned Mel that I was more than willing to take Zoe, but would still go running. Again, this was perfectly acceptable because I brought Zoe's bike so she could ride alongside me. So not only did I have a great run, but had a buddy along to keep me company. The best part was she had no idea how easy she had it - after a couple miles, she hadn't broken a sweat and couldn't believe we were already done. I assured her that riding was 10 times easier than running and she was confident she could run the whole way and push the stroller too. Ha, I left it at that while laughing to myself. Next time I'll have to go 5 or 6 miles just to see how she fares then.
We got to the house, changed into our swimsuits and headed out to the pool. I am more than comfortable with Silas in the pool while watching from the side - except he always wants me in to play with him anyway. Eli, however, is a different story. I have to be in the pool with him. Until today. All I really need is Zoe. Silas was beyond content having a playmate and Zoe "had fun" helping with Eli. At first I was in the pool with all of them, then Zoe completely took over. Eli was going back and forth between the hot tub and pool and she wanted to follow after him. She kept telling me, "Don't worry, Auntie Melissa, I got it." Naturally, at first I was a bit hesitant because that's my little baby next to a giant mass of water. But as I watched Eli, I realized he was working his way around the pool perfectly fine in his padded swimsuit and floaties. He was maintaining his balance like a pro and only needed someone next to him just in case. Zoe stayed by his side, helping him swim, bouncing him in the water and helping him to the sides of the pool so he could get in and out. I eventually plopped onto one of the pool chairs and watched from the side. At one point Zoe hollered over to me, "Auntie Melissa, I'm having so much fun babysitting the boys!"
I suddenly realized how genius this scenario was. If Zoe loves helping and getting out of daycare, I love the help and the boys love having someone to play with - is it so wrong for me to take advantage of it? I called Mel, jokingly telling her I found the solution to getting a little break, along with the perfect summer tan. Seriously, this was the life - sitting by the pool, soaking up the sun, while watching my kids and Zoe have a blast.
We had a really fun day and I loved spending some time with Zoe. We had some great conversations and my eyes were opened to a whole new world talking to a nine year old girl - I heard about the Jonas Brothers, TMZ, her favorite places to shop, her opinion about me needing a girl, how hard 4th grade is going to be, etc. She is such a sweet, special girl and I'm proud to be her Auntie. I hope we have many more fun days together, and the help is an added benefit.
P.S. If anyone I know with kids suddenly offers to take Zoe for the day, I am onto you. :)



0 Comments