"Happy Trick or Treating"

I'm not quite sure how we had yet to take our kids trick or treating for Halloween, but this year was a first.  It's an interesting concept to teach your kids if you think about it.  "Okay, so we're gonna go knock on doors, you say 'Trick or Treat' and they will give you candy.  Say thank you and be nice."  Silas was not into it at first.  He completely shied up.  He wanted to hide instead of approach the doors.  I had to remind him, "But Si, you won't get any candy if you hide.  You can do it!"  Mind you, he was all amped up in the car prior to beginning our new adventure.  Once he saw what we were doing he told me, "Momma, I don't talk to some people."  I think he was realizing these were strangers and this is the direct opposite of the concept of not talking to strangers.  However, after watching a few times, he began to get the hang of it.  Before we knew it, he appointed himself the line leader and wanted to be in charge.  "Come on guys, this way!  Let's go to this house.  Come on!" etc. etc.  As soon as each door would open he'd proclaim loudly, "Happy Trick or Treating!!"  This brought lots of smiles and most people responded, "Well, Happy Trick or Treating to you, too!"  

As we were getting back in the car, Silas looked up at me and said, "Momma, thanks for taking us.  This was so much fun."  Once in the car, he was so giddy he could barely contain himself.  He told each of us individually, "Happy Trick or Treating {Daddy, Mommy, Eli}".  It's not like Silas will eat any of his candy, but he sure had fun getting it.  I could possibly have the only child on the face of the planet that has no desire for candy, with the exception of an occasional twizzler.  There's no bribing him with food - ever.

So, it's November.  As long as we've been building up for Halloween (deciding on costumes, ordering and receiving the costumes, Silas asking everyday whether or not it was Halloween and if they could wear the costumes), I can actually believe it's over.  Often I'll find myself thinking the opposite, but Halloween didn't sneak up on me this year.  With it being November, despite the fact that it's going to be 80-90 degrees all week, this is still my favorite time of the year.  I love everything about it.  I want to soak it all in this year and truly enjoy it.  I keep reminding myself how fast the time actually is going (mostly in regards to how crazy fast my kids are growing up) and I don't want to look back and feel like I missed it and it's already the new year.  I'm not ready for a new year yet!

Thinking of November, I naturally think of Thanksgiving and the opportunity it brings.  Every year at Thanksgiving we get in a huge circle and go around the circle, each expressing what he/she is thankful for or how God has blessed them the past year.  I think it's a fabulous tradition.  Why shouldn't we take a few moments to stop and reflect on the many blessings in our lives?  We should do it everyday.  I'm not gonna lie - though I wish it weren't true, I do often tend to see the negative, rather than focusing on the positive.  I also see the negative in this, though for once it's a good thing!  What good does it do me to think of all the things I'd like, the things that would make life easier or how I wish things could be?  Rather, why not reflect on what I do have and how generously I have been blessed?  So, with that, I want to take each day in November to list what I am, in fact, thankful for.  I think this is such an important exercise and I hope that maybe some of you will do it with me.  Here goes...

Day One:  I am thankful for a merciful God.  "Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail.  They are new every morning.  Great is your faithfulness."  Though I am flawed - though I sin, I have a loving God that has mercy and compassion.  I don't deserve anything - yet He gave me everything.  Not only did He sacrifice His Son so that I might live, He offers His grace with each day - with each moment.  I am never beyond the reach of His grace.  Every moment is a new opportunity.  He is faithful.  And I am ever so thankful.  There's no way I could adequately put it into words.  Simply, impossible.  Thank you Lord, that Your mercies are new every morning.  



 My Frankenstein rice krispies!



























 Peeping in the door.  


 My happy camper that loves candy!



Dash and Baby Jack Jack Trick or Treating together

1 Comments

  1. I agree that I am most thankful for my relationship with Jesus Christ. He truly gives me peace beyond understanding as spoken in Philippians 4. I know that no matter what is happening in the world, God is still on His throne.

    ReplyDelete