to Silas on your 9th birthday.
Silas-
It's your last year in the single digits. {Excuse me while I grab a tissue.} I mean - where has the time gone? I promise you, just yesterday I was in the hospital holding you for the first time.
I'm not sure there's an accurate way to describe the moments leading up to meeting your baby - the never ending pregnancy, the anticipation, the hours of labor, and moment you've been so anxiously waiting for - to get that first glimpse and finally know you. As I held you and looked into those baby blues for the first time, admired your full head of jet black hair with blonde tips, and adored your little "monkey" nose, I knew I was looking at the most beautiful thing I had ever laid eyes on.
I have loved watching you grow and enjoyed every stage - from newborn, to baby, to toddler, to little kid, to now - big kid. It's so fun getting to know who you are and to not only be your parent, but your your friend. You are so, so funny, and have a serious love of puns. You constantly have us laughing. Where you once were a shy boy hiding from everyone in sight, you now love to be the center of attention. It kind of blows my mind. You are genius and often talk of things that are way over my head, even now. You love science, technology, and are a self proclaimed geek. Or nerd. I forget which, because apparently there is a difference. We are convinced you have the best memory of anyone in the world. The detail at which you can remember things is i-n-s-a-n-e. I just love who you are, kid. I love your thirst for knowledge, your genuine love for your brothers, your sensitive heart.
I love that even though you've never been to Magic Mountain, you know every single ride and the height limit. I love that it bugs you that Frozen is taking over Disneyland - like seriously gets under your skin. I love that one of your worst days ever was when Microsoft bought Mojang and how you're anti-Microsoft. I love the details and facts you know about the most random things. I just love your quirkiness. You are great.
I couldn't have made a list of what I wanted in a kid and come up with you. I couldn't have known all the elements that would make you YOU, but I am ever so thankful that God picked YOU to be our son. He knew we needed YOU. If there's one thing I would want you to know and take with you forever, it's this - you are dearly loved by God and by us. You are so special. You are not perfect, but you are perfectly part of our family and our hearts. You are fearfully and wonderfully made. You are one amazing kid, Silas Daniel Sniff. We love you - no matter what!
I hope you have the happiest of birthdays, sweet nine year old. And let's hold off on the double digits...
Love,
Mom
"Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out;
you formed me in my mother’s womb.
I thank you, High God—you’re breathtaking!
Body and soul, I am marvelously made!
I worship in adoration—what a creation!
You know me inside and out,
you know every bone in my body;
You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit,
how I was sculpted from nothing into something.
Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth;
all the stages of my life were spread out before you,
The days of my life all prepared
before I’d even lived one day."
It's your last year in the single digits. {Excuse me while I grab a tissue.} I mean - where has the time gone? I promise you, just yesterday I was in the hospital holding you for the first time.
I'm not sure there's an accurate way to describe the moments leading up to meeting your baby - the never ending pregnancy, the anticipation, the hours of labor, and moment you've been so anxiously waiting for - to get that first glimpse and finally know you. As I held you and looked into those baby blues for the first time, admired your full head of jet black hair with blonde tips, and adored your little "monkey" nose, I knew I was looking at the most beautiful thing I had ever laid eyes on.
I have loved watching you grow and enjoyed every stage - from newborn, to baby, to toddler, to little kid, to now - big kid. It's so fun getting to know who you are and to not only be your parent, but your your friend. You are so, so funny, and have a serious love of puns. You constantly have us laughing. Where you once were a shy boy hiding from everyone in sight, you now love to be the center of attention. It kind of blows my mind. You are genius and often talk of things that are way over my head, even now. You love science, technology, and are a self proclaimed geek. Or nerd. I forget which, because apparently there is a difference. We are convinced you have the best memory of anyone in the world. The detail at which you can remember things is i-n-s-a-n-e. I just love who you are, kid. I love your thirst for knowledge, your genuine love for your brothers, your sensitive heart.
I love that even though you've never been to Magic Mountain, you know every single ride and the height limit. I love that it bugs you that Frozen is taking over Disneyland - like seriously gets under your skin. I love that one of your worst days ever was when Microsoft bought Mojang and how you're anti-Microsoft. I love the details and facts you know about the most random things. I just love your quirkiness. You are great.
I couldn't have made a list of what I wanted in a kid and come up with you. I couldn't have known all the elements that would make you YOU, but I am ever so thankful that God picked YOU to be our son. He knew we needed YOU. If there's one thing I would want you to know and take with you forever, it's this - you are dearly loved by God and by us. You are so special. You are not perfect, but you are perfectly part of our family and our hearts. You are fearfully and wonderfully made. You are one amazing kid, Silas Daniel Sniff. We love you - no matter what!
I hope you have the happiest of birthdays, sweet nine year old. And let's hold off on the double digits...
Love,
Mom
"Oh yes, you shaped me first inside, then out;
you formed me in my mother’s womb.
I thank you, High God—you’re breathtaking!
Body and soul, I am marvelously made!
I worship in adoration—what a creation!
You know me inside and out,
you know every bone in my body;
You know exactly how I was made, bit by bit,
how I was sculpted from nothing into something.
Like an open book, you watched me grow from conception to birth;
all the stages of my life were spread out before you,
The days of my life all prepared
before I’d even lived one day."






1 Comments
Happy Birthday, Silas. Although I am unable to be there today you are in my heart. Our relationship has been special even though I live so far away. We have always spent simply as much time as humanly possible with you and your family. I am so thankful to God for letting me be your mamaw! Remember how much I love you.
ReplyDelete